Friday, December 30, 2011

Pentecost 22; Render Unto Ceasar

In our epistle today there is this great line, on of my all time favorites because it makes me giggle a little. The whole beginning of the letter is Paul explaining what a good job the people are doing but then in verse 7 he tells them that it doesn’t really bear mentioning...after he just mentioned it.

I think that is important though because it reminds us that though humility is good but it is also good to tell one another where we see Christ at work in them.

And I’m just getting to know you all because I’m still kind of new here but I have seen a few really great things here, things that you all do and the way that you are. Things that make me sure that while there might not be a full time pastor here right now God is still here and Christ is at work but I know that you have too. So I want to ask you for a couple of brief stories of where you’ve seen God here or in the ministiries of this place?--take offerings from the congregation:

The options are endless,
World Hunger
Clown Ministry
Serendipity
St. Paul’s Center
Parish Nurse Program

Let me tell you another: Remember in the first days after Irene it was hard to know who needed help and how everyone was. There was a lot of worry about elderly people and people with unstable living situations and many churches were checking up on those folks in one way or another. But at a council meeting right after Duane and Sam and I sat there, as your leaders and listened as it became clear that St.Timothy’s enacted a phone tree and St. Timothy’s called everyone on their roles. Some people it seems were a little confused about why they were being called but I am completely convinced that if those people didn’t know before where to go in times of trouble they have a better idea now. How can you not see God in a church that reaches out before it is called upon and not even knowing if it is needed.

The church reaches out too in the things it supports, the places it sends it’s pastor and leaders.

The other day I carried out one of the ministries of this church I did a nursing home service at Rosewood gardens. I don’t sing well but I led songs for these elderly women, all 14 of them. Some could barely talk and weren’t keeping their eyes open at all but when we started to sing How Great Thou Art there were 14 voices other than my own, all off key and off tempo but so sincere, so completely moved, singing from their hearts and their memories. Singing remembering funerals and baptisms, festival worship services and small gatherings. Their eyes filled with tears and it was the most beautiful sound I’ve heard in a long time. I know God was there. I couldn’t see him but I could see his image in each of those faces. In a ministry of this church.

The gospel lesson for today has this great line from Jesus, whose image is graven here about the coin and then Christ says give to the emperor what is his and to God what is God’s. The bible tells us that we aren’t to make images of God but it also tells us where to find one anytime we want to see God. The bible says we are made in God’s image. In the images of God we are made male and female. In the image of God we are made young and old. In the image of God we are made able and in need. In the image of God we are made to serve and be served. In the image of God we are made to see God here in this place and we do. We can’t help but see God when we look around. And this is great good news. Thanks be to God. Amen

No comments: